The Avenida Guadalupe Association (Avenida) was incorporated in 1979 to bring community members together in an effort to revitalize the neighborhood and encourage growth through economic development while protecting the distinctive quality of the neighborhood and the personality of the Avenida Guadalupe. Since its incorporation, Avenida has grown and its mission has evolved with time. Avenida has become a major economic development agency on San Antonio's Westside focusing on projects that are important to a traditional neighborhood. Projects have ranged from constructing low-income senior housing and office space to property management and revitalization of city facilities to providing housing counseling and new homes to first time homebuyers. While Avenida goes forward with its intricate economic development efforts, it also continues to be concerned about those issues that are provided in its neighborhood community forums. Avenida has embraced its role, has met every challenge head on and is proud of its accomplishments.
Several of Avenida ’s most significant accomplishments in the past few years include the following:
- Las Oficinas de la Avenida Guadalupe- class A commercial property allowing AGA to become self-sufficient;
- Neighborhood Commercial Revitalization Program -a six-year project consisting of a partnership between the community, private, public and non-profit sectors aimed at revitalizing Guadalupe Street from Frio St. to Zarzamora St.;
- H.A.C.E.R. Gala Award -for Best Redevelopment Award given to Guadalupe Street Coffee House (November 2007);
- H.A.C.E.R. Gala Award -for Partnership of the Year given to Nationwide Insurance (November 2007);
- Asset Preservation Emergency Repair Program -emergency rehabilitation work assisting low income seniors and disabled residents in our community;
- HUD Certified Counseling Agency -11 years of continuous dedication to the community touching the lives of over 800 participants in the 8 hour homeownership training course and one on one counseling sessions;
- Single Family Housing Program -In-fill Housing-over 7 homes constructed to date with an additional 7 homes slated in the JT Brackenridge Affordable Subdivision and another 3-4 homes as part of AGA owned properties;
- Bank of America -Neighborhood Community Excellence Award;
- JT Brackenridge Homes -Showcased the first affordable green (energy-efficient) subdivision in San Antonio;
- APA Texas Project Planning Award -for the Guadalupe Westside Community Plan (October 2007);
- SA-APA Comprehensive Planning Award –for the Guadalupe Westside Community Plan (January 2008);
- Senior Citizen Communities and Residences:
- In 1996, Avenida constructed its first low-income senior residence. The San Jacinto Senior Citizen Community was developed with major funding support from the State of Texas. Located at 1512 El Paso, San Jacinto's fifty (50) units offers elderly residents the conveniences of modern apartments.
- In 2002, Avenida constructed the Ernest C. Olivares Senior Community Residence. This residence is located at 1003 Vera Cruz Street, just east of South Brazos Street. Fifty-nine (59) units with balconies/patios and several community areas are all incorporated into this facility for independent senior living.
- In 2005, Avenida completed its third senior residence – the Charles A. Gonzalez Senior Community Residence. This low-income senior complex is located at 2022 South Zarzamora Street. This facility, named after Congressman Charles A. Gonzalez, has sixty (61) units with balconies/patios and several community areas that are all incorporated into this facility to facilitate independent senior living.
- El Parian Business Incubator Program -provides low cost office space to cultivate commerce and activity in the area by providing services that fulfill an important demand in the Avenida Guadalupe neighborhood.
- 16 de Septiembre Celebration-one of San Antonio’s largest citywide multicultural events the parade and festival celebrate Mexico’s Declaration of Independence from Spain on September 16, 1810. The Guadalupe Street Parade is the third largest parade in San Antonio. The Calle Guadalupe Festival consists of music, food, games, and family friendly events for the community. The Diez y Seis Gala is held to honor local individual, civic, and business contributions to the Avenida Guadalupe Neighborhood.